To think that Disney wanted to build a ski resort in Mineral King… This land is full of wildlife, lofty peaks, mineral rich slopes, alpine lake gems and streams. It is a wonder, untouched. Hikers who want to tackle Sawtooth Pass or go beyond Farewell Gap may find Atwell Mill or Cold Springs Campgrounds to be a good home base.
* Open late May (Memorial Day weekend) through October 31st
* No reservations. First-come, First-served
* Tents only
* No water mid-October/first big snow
* Mineral King road from 198 is steep, twisty, and narrow. Allow 90 minutes to drive it.
* No trailers or RVs.
* Metal lockers must be used for food storage.
* Marmots can eat through hoses under the hood of your car.
* Provides access to Sawtooth Pass and other trails from Mineral King Valley.
* Mineral King Webcam & Weather
* $12 a night – operated by National Park Service
* 39 sites and 9 walk-in sites
* 7,500 ft. elevation
* 23 miles from 198
* 2.5 miles to Silver City, which has a restaurant and showers.
* closer than Atwell Mill to trail heads in Mineral King Valley
* $12 a night – operated by NPS.
* 21 sites
* 6,650 ft. elevation
*19 miles from 198
* 1/2 mile to Silver City
View Red Tail Trails Map in a larger map